There are two ways in which you gamble in sports. You either opt for sports betting or for daily fantasy sports (DFS).
Sports gambling has been there for decades in some form or the other. So if you thought, it’s a new concept, then you are wrong. Whether legal or not, it is practiced in almost every country in the world including the US.
The US sportsbook list has many sports including baseball, basketball, football, etc. sports gambling can be done on any of the sports you want. Speaking of which if you want to know the difference between DFS and sports betting, then you are in the right place.
Difference between DFS and Sports Betting
Many of you seem to be confused between DFS and sports betting. To clear your confusion and give you a better idea, we have laid down the difference between the two below.
Daily Fantasy Sports
This type of gambling involves drafting a set number of players while maintaining a given salary cap. It gives you the right to select any player as long as their salaries are below the cap.
For example, You have to draft 10 players under a $60,000 cap.
Your goal should be to prepare a team that can score more points than the opponent team. However, you should know that points are given based on the scoring system followed by the particular DFS site. Before you start with DFS, it’s advised that you get to know the scoring system. This will help you improve your chances of winning. This is why you are advised to check the rules, before starting to gamble.
- In the case of DFS gambling, you are playing against your fellow gamblers. This means all of you have equal chances of winning. But in sportsbooks, you have to win against oddsmakers who are good at their job.
- In DFS, you can use the same line-up of players in more than one game. If you are confident about the team, then you can use them in the next game as well.
- In DFS gambling, you will not get banned for winning. In sportsbooks, there can be limited winnings, but that is not true in DFS gambling.
Sports betting involves betting on outcomes. It is not dependent on the performance of the players. In this type of gambling, you need to understand the odds and determine the outcome that you think has the highest possibility.
The most common type of betting is called the money line. In this case, you need to select a team that you think will win the match.
The best thing about sports betting is that it provides you with several betting options. For example, you can place your wage in live-action, totals, point spreads, etc.
- Unlike DFS, sports betting has a wider market of sports to choose from. It allows you to bet not only on popular sports but also on games like water polo and badminton.
- Another good thing about sports betting is that it involves lower commissions. The bookmakers take only a 10% commission from the losing side. But in the case of DFS, they usually charge 10% extra for every buy-in.
- Another thing about sports betting is that it is more popular than DFS. You can find DFS more popular in America, but not worldwide.
Both DFS and sports betting are a form of sports gambling. Both the gambling forms have their share of pros and cons. It depends on you and your gambling skills which option suits you the best. If you are a skilled DFS gambler, then you go for it, or else you have sports betting for you.